http://www.sportstats.ca/display-results.php?racecode=45486&first=J.d.&last=WILLIAMS&city=Niskayuna.
Dave Anderson and I did the race together. This year was a little different from last time because both of our families stayed home. We wanted to save the money plus Gina was 8 months pregnant and not in a good position for the travel. It worked out well for Dave and I to share a hotel room and cut down our expenses to make the trip possible. However, it definitely was not the same without our families there to cheer us on. During the race I tried to imagine my family along the course with their signs cheering me on.
The day before the race, Dave and I did two sessions at the Montreal Temple. The first session was in French, and the second one was in English. During the French session, I used the headset translators and tuned into the Spanish version! That was awesome to hear a session in my mission language. Note the strange back tire. We got a flat tire on the way to Montreal, but luckily Dave had a full spare tire in the trunk. Good thing we didn't get a second flat!
By the way, the pictures below are from the photographers site, so you will notice the watermark on the photos.

Here I am getting out of the water after the first leg of the ironman: the 2.4 mile swim. My swim time was a little slower than last time, but I felt really good getting out of the water. We swim in the olympic rowing basin, which is a huge pool 3 meters deep, 100 meters wide, and 2,000 meters long. It was the site of the 1976 summer olympic rowing events.

Here I am transitioning from my swim to bike. You can see my bike in the foreground, #50.

Here I am on the bike course, which is 41 laps around a formula 1 race track on Ile Notre Dame. The total bike distance is 112 miles. During the race I got off the bike about 5-6 times to stretch out my stiff back. My overall bike time was 5:41, which is 13 minutes faster than last time.

Here I am starting my last lap of the marathon. The marathon leg of the triathlon is 9 laps around the olympic rowing basin. It felt so good to be on that last lap. My marathon time was 4:53. I was very happy to get under 5 hours on the marathon.

FINISHED!!! It felt so good to cross that finish line. I ran very hard in my final lap and gave it all I had. After getting my picture taken, I found the nearest chair and sat right down. It was really hard to get up out of that chair later!

Victory! Dave also gave it all he had on the last lap and was exhausted afterwards. Dave finished just 3 minutes ahead of me, so he was there at the finish line when I crossed. After I crossed, he laid down on the cement ground in the finishers area and stayed there with his arms outstreatched for quite some time. He said that there never was a more comfortable place to be in all the world. I don't blame him! I was very pleased with how fast I was able to recover from the race. After about 4 days I didn't feel any soreness or pain. I felt ready to do it again! I look forward to my Ironman next year.

8 comments:
Great job JD!! We're so proud of you. Congrats on finishing faster than last time - a real accomplishment.
Hope you guys are well.
Miss you.
Clint and Meg and kids
So Amazing! Congrats JD!
I am exhausted just reading about it. You have so much energy!! You looked great during the entire race and after wards. Good for you!
Congratulations, J.D. That is a serious accomplishment--you should be proud. However, I still think you're CRAZY! I could never exercise for that long...
Congrats! I didn't know that you did this kind of stuff! Hope all will well with your family! keep updating for Gina especially with the new baby coming.
Flex, you are totally on a rampage! And still as crazy as when we were roommates. ;)
go JD! woo hoo! that is so awesome.
JD...this is so awesome..INSPIRING!! And it was all on a track??? I CANNOT imagine running or biking that far going in circles!!! Discipline at it's finest. :)
Post a Comment